Aidpage is a
support network.
Ask for help
Offer help
Sign up now
Talking about:
36 posts
4,517 visits

emergency housing assistance

What's your take? (click here)

I'm a victim of domestic violence from Las Vegas NV but relocated to PHX az to get away

I'm a victim of domestic violence from Las Vegas NV but relocated to PHX az to get away from my x-boyfriend. I applied for medic. Ins Fri. Could take up to 2wks to get approved. I'm looking for housing with Dom. Abuse /addiction treatment that is NOT based on AA, until ins. kicks in.
Talk to 2bfree

we are from fresno california. My roomate only had 3 hours on his paycheck and rent is

we are from fresno california. My roomate only had 3 hours on his paycheck and rent is 700.00 a month. We live in a rv park and they do not take kindly to late rent. we need temporary help as his hours should be picking up soon. we have
lived here a year.
Talk to judithl

Rental assistant

Is there any assistant programs in Fresno County California or Tulare County California.
Talk to bubby1961

homeless with children

I am a 31 year old married woman with two small children. My husband and I are currently homeless because the place we were renting took our money, then, while I was gone out working, the "land lord" changed the locks and kept all of our belongings. We currently have nothing now and are in need of shelter, food, clothes, anything that will help us out.
Talk to stressed_n_overwhelmed
Need_yeshua   in reply to rc2404   on

Emergency ( Help)

I'm sorry to hear about your situation you are going through right now.
I have some resources on my homepage. You are welcome to take a look. You may find some resources that would be a blessing.
Above all things. I would recommend seeking the one where ALL blessing's flow.
That is through God. by accepting HIS son Jesus Christ into your life.
I say that because I have personally seen God move in my life, and my family. He continues to be faithful, and help us in our time of need. As I walk with HIM my needs are less all the time. He loves you as much as he loves me. = )
We just need to make him lord of our lives, and to keep him first.
I will pray about your situation, and God will heal you, and your husband of your disabilities.
I send shalom, love, and blessing's upon you, and your family.
In Christ,
Talk to Need_yeshua

Emergency ( Help)

We need help me and my family. Me and my husband are both disabled and living on a fix income and we need help. We have 3 small children a 1, 7 and 10 yr old. We are staying with family right now but we have til August 3rd to find a place to stay. Me and my husband both suffer from serious mental illnesses. We are not making it on a $900 budget, we can't afford food, clothes, and shelter. So please help us.
Talk to rc2404

Emergency Housing Assistance For Residents Of North Dakota

North Dakota Homeless Information Centers

Contact a center near you for shelter, emergency housing, food, clothing, and job or health services.


West Central Human Service Center
600 S 2nd St Suite 5
Bismarck, ND 58504
(701) 328-8888
Toll free 1 (888) 328-2662
TDD (701) 328-8802
Hot Line (701) 328- 2662

Devils Lake

Lake Region Human Service Center
P.O. Box 650
Hwy 2 W, Devils Lake
Devils Lake, ND 58301
(701) 665-2200
Toll free 1 (888) 607-8610
TDD (701) 665-2211
Hot Line (701) 665-5050


Badlands Human Services
Pulver Hall
Dickinson, ND 58601
(701) 227-7500
Toll free 1 (888) 227-7525
TDD (701) 227-7574
Hot line (701) 227-5009


South East Human Service Center
2624 9th Ave. SW
Fargo, ND 58103
(701) 298-4500
Toll free 1 (888) 342-4900
TDD (701)-298-4450
Hot line (701) 235-7335

Grand Forks

North East Human Service Center
151 S. 4 th St. Suite 401
Grand Forks, ND 58201
(701) 795-3000
Toll free 1 (800) 256-6742
TDD (701) 795-3060


South Central Human Service Center
520 3rd St. North
P.O. Box 2055
Jamestown, ND 58401
(701) 253-6300
Toll free 1 (800) 260-1310
TDD (701) 253-6414
Hot line 701 253- 6304


North Central Human Service Center
400 22 Ave NW
Minot, ND 58701
(701) 857-8500
Toll free 1 (888) 470-6968
TDD (701) 857-8666


North West Human Services Center
PO Box 1266
316 2nd Ave West
Williston, ND 58801
(701) 774-4643
Toll free 1 (800) 231-7724
TDD (701) 774-4692
Hot line (701) 572-9111
Talk to friendshelpingfriends

Providence Emergency Housing Assistance And Help With Rental Deposit


Emergency Housing Assistance

-- Phone 273-2000 -- Fax: 273-2007 -- 518 Hartford Avenue -- Providence, RI 02909

    * Three hundred households a year receive emergency rent and mortgage assistance before a housing crisis leads to homelessness


Talk to Starshine

How To Get Emergency Housing Help

There are many resources available to help you find, and pay for, housing.

Immediately register with FEMA for housing assistance. Some disaster assistance is contingent on your registration with FEMA.

 -   Register online
 -   Toll-free number: 1 (800) 621-FEMA (3362)
(TTY: 800-462-7585) available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
 -   FEMA's Individual and Households Program (IHP) provides an initial three month rental assistance payment in the form of check or electronic fund transfer in the amount of $2,358. See FEMA's website for details.

If you need emergency housing or other emergency services immediately, these organizations may be able to help:

 -   American Red Cross: 1 (877) 568-3317
 -   Salvation Army: 1 (800) 725-2769
 -   Catholic Charities: 1 (800) 919-9338
 -   Local housing shelters and homeless assistance

If you were a resident of Public Housing or have a Section 8 voucher in a disaster-affected area

 -   Call HUD's Housing Hotline. HUD has established a single toll-free housing hotline,
1 (888) 297-8685 (Available 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. CDT, seven days a week.)
 -   Visit a Public Housing Authority they will assist you with your options.

FEMA/HUD Katrina Disaster Housing Assistance Program
Families displaced by Hurricane Katrina may decide in which city they would like to live. Upon arriving in their new community, the evacuated family will meet with the local public housing authority that will help them find a suitable place to live. Families will be given a rental subsidy based on 100 percent of Fair Market Rent in that community.

Eligible families include:

 -   displaced public housing residents;
 -   Section 8 voucher holders;
 -   other HUD-assisted households; and,
 -   pre-disaster homeless individuals who were directly affected by the hurricane.

Department of Agriculture provides housing resources through its Rural Development program. You can find those resources on their website.

Talk to friendshelpingfriends

New Mexico Rent, Mortgage And Utility Assistance

County Agency Phone Contact Name
Bernalillo:  Albuquerque Catholic Charities (505)724-4615 -
Bernalillo:  Outside Albuquerque The Life Link (505)340-3302 Debbie Chavez
Catron Western Regional Housing Authority (575)388-1974 x12 Ashley Delfin
Chaves HELP NM (575)973-0326 Rosa Juarez
Cibola, McKinley Gallup Housing Authority (505)722-4388 Brian Pierce
Colfax, Harding, Taos, Union The Life Link (505)438-0010 Kathy Sutherland-Bruaw

Curry, De Baca, Eddy, Lea, Lincoln, Otero, Quay, Roosevelt

Tierra Del Sol Housing Corporation (575)541-0477 Veronika Molina
Dona Ana

Housing Authority of the
City of Las Cruces

(575)528-1224 Linda Quintana
Eddy HELP NM (575)973-0326 Rosa Juarez
Grant Western Regional Housing Authority (575)388-1974 x14 Crystal Sanchez
Guadalupe, Mora, San Miguel The Life Link (505)438-0010 Anna Pell
Hidalgo Western Regional Housing Authority (505)546-6544 Leticia Lechuga
Lincoln HELP NM (575)973-0326 Rosa Juarez
Los Alamos Los Alamos Family Council (505)662-3264 Kathy Lippert
Luna Western Regional Housing Authority (575)546-6544  Norma Grado
Rio Arriba  Crisis Center of Northern New Mexico (505)753-1656   Rob Purdy
Sandoval  Southwest Neighborhood Housing Services (505)243-5511  Cristina Monsivais
San Juan San Juan County Partnership  (505)325-4890  Pamela Hart
Santa Fe  The Life Link  (505)438-0010   Lara Yoder
Sierra  T or C Housing Authority (575)894-8844   Jelena Mechem
Socorro  Socorro County Housing Authority (575)835-0196 option 5  Prescilla Pino
Torrance  Mountainair Housing Authority   (505)847-2416  Lisa Mitchler

Village of Los Lunas Housing Authority 

 (505)839-3854  Amanda Neel
Talk to friendshelpingfriends

San Francisco, California Emergency Housing Assistance

Important! If you have recieved an eviction notice ("Unlawful Detainer") from the courts go to the Eviction Defense Collaborative (EDC) at 995 Market (947-0797) immediately for help filing the proper response forms.

These programs may help you pay for housing costs in an emergency.
They may also help with back rent, deposits, or first and last month's rent.

AIDS Emergency Fund
(for people with HIV)
1540 Market Street, Suite 320

Canon Kip
487-3786 (for disabled)

Catholic Charities of Archdiocese of SF
(415)972-1301 (families)
(415)972-1375 (singles)
You must call Thursdays at 1 p.m.
Also provides special funds for
people with HIV

GLIDE (415) 292-3335. Location 333 Taylor, Cecil Williams House.

Family Service Agency
(415) 474-7310 ext. 318. 1010 Gough St. San Francisco, CA 94109.
 By appointment only. No drop ins. Contact person Victoria Gray.

Information Referral Program
(for info on other assistance sources)
(415)808-HELP (English)
(415)808-4444 (Spanish)
(415)808-7339 (Chinese)
(415)808-4440 (TTY)

Independent Living Resource Center
(for disabled persons)

(for all singles and families)
Rental Assistance Disbursement Component of Eviction Defense Collaborative
995 Market Street at 6th Street, 12th Floor, 947-0797 X113
May provide one-time,
no-interest loans.

St. Anthony's Church
121 Golden Gate Avenue
(you must attend a workshop before you can apply, call for information)

Salvation Army
242 Turk Street
(call to see if money is available)

Swords to Plowshares (for vets)

Homeless Prenatal Program
Deposit assistance for families with minor children only
2500 18th/ Portrero
Talk to friendshelpingfriends

Maryland Renters Assistance Information


  • In May 2009, a new federal law was passed to assist renters during foreclosure. Called the “Protecting Tenants at Foreclosure Act”, this law provides most renters with certain rights during foreclosure, namely, that most leases will survive foreclosure and the foreclosure sale purchaser becomes the new landlord. Most renters have the right to continue renting the property for the rest of their lease term, or at least to receive a 90-day notice to vacate after the foreclosure process is complete. You should seek legal advice to determine whether you have these legal rights under the new law. In the meantime, continue to pay your rent. Be certain to continue opening all mail addressed to “Occupant”, “Resident” or “Tenant”, as these notices are intended for you.
  • Facing Eviction or Need Advice on your Rights as a Tenant

    If you are in need of emergency housing or assistance through social services, please call the United Way/First Call for Help Hotline at 211 in most areas or:

    • 410-685-0525 - Greater Baltimore
    • 800-492-0618 - Outside Baltimore, within MD.
  • Resources for Renters in Foreclosure

  • Find a New Apartment – a free service sponsored by DHCD that lists rental properties throughout the state of Maryland.

  • Rental Assistance

    Are you in need of rental assistance? You may be eligible for DHCD’s Rental Allowance Program. For information regarding income limits, please visit the RAP information page. For assistance with the Rental Allowance Program, please contact one of the local Administering Agencies.

Talk to friendshelpingfriends

Chicago, Illinois Emergency Housing Assistance

Click Here For Website

Program Description
EHAP provides grants to low-income homeowners to repair roofs, porches and heating units that are in serious disrepair. Owners of 1-4 unit properties in Chicago must live on the property and have no other means to pay for the repairs. If the property is sold within one year of the repairs, the City requires the homeowner to repay the grant amount.

Repairs are made seasonally on a first-come; first-served basis as follows:

Heating Unit Repair/Replacement:
From November 1 through March 31, improvements are limited to the repair and replacement of heating units. Applicants must bring required documents listed below to the Department of Housing to apply.

Roof and Porch Repair/Replacement:
Applicants must call Chicago's City Services at 311 beginning January 1 of each program year to be placed on the intake list for services. The Department of Housing will accept applicants based on available funding. Roof and porch repair and replacement will be performed between April 1 and October 31. Appointments will be given only to applicants whose names are on the intake list.

Program Guidelines

  • Assistance is limited to homes that have not received prior assistance through this program.
  • Applicants must be owner-occupants and reside in the property for at least one year before applying for assistance.
  • Total household incomes must be within the following income limits:

Household size Maximum Income Maximum Loan Amounts


$26,400 Single Family



$30,150 2-Flat



$33,950 3-4 Flat



5 $40,700
6 $43,750
7 $46,750
8 or more $49,750

To complete an application for EHAP, homeowners will need to provide copies of the following documents:

  • Proof of Property Ownership:
    • Recorded deed (Warranty or Quit Claim)
    • Death Certificate (where applicable)
    • Mortgage payment booklet (if applicable)
    • Current property tax bill
    • Homeowner's insurance policy
  • Proof of Income:
    • Last two paycheck stubs
    • Most recent Federal tax returns
    • Benefits verification (Social Security, pension, public aid, etc.)
    • Rent receipts (if applicable)
  • Utilities:
    • Current gas bill
    • Current electric bill
    • Current water bill
  • Proof of Residency:
    • Valid Driver's License or State ID card
    • Name and Social Security numbers for all household members

Applications are taken at the City of Chicago Department of Housing, 33 North LaSalle Street Chicago, IL 60602. You may also call 311 for more information.


Talk to friendshelpingfriends

Florida Emergency Housing Assistance

Click Here For Website

EFAHP provides a one-time payment of up to $400 to families who are totally without shelter or face the loss of shelter because of non-payment of rent or mortgage. It also helps those families who have had household disasters such as fire, flood, or other accidents.

Eligibility requirements include:

  1. The household must have at least one child under the age of 18.
  2. The household must live in Florida, or be working or looking for work in Florida.
  3. At least one child or caretaker in the home must be a U. S. citizen or legal resident.
  4. You must have proof of your housing emergency, for example, a copy of a court ordered eviction or foreclosure notice. In the event of a natural disaster such as fire or flood, the EFAHP office can make a telephone call to the sheriff's office, fire department, Department of Children and Families' office, etc., if you provide us with a phone number.
  5. If you do not have enough money in your checking/savings accounts, or the cash to pay your rent or mortgage.
  6. The total household income is compared to the State of Florida's need standard to decide whether the household is eligible.
    Income Eligibility Requirements
    (per income guidelines published in the Federal Register, February 2009)
    Household Size Monthly Income Household Size Monthly Income
    1 Not Eligible 5 $4,299 or Less
    2 $2,429 or Less 6 4,922 or Less
    3 3,052 or Less 7 $5,620 or Less
    4 3,675 or Less 8 6,169 or Less
    Each additional member add $624
  7. All income received during the month you apply is considered, except for those household members who receive SSI.
  8. If you are having financial problems, it must be due to a real emergency, and not from mishandling your money.
  9. You must provide proof of your present living address. Examples include a rent receipt, utility bill, or other paperwork that lists the name of the head of household or other caretaker, and the present address.
  10. Your application must be signed and dated.
How To Apply

To apply for the Emergency Financial Assistance for Housing Program, the following forms must be completed:

This information is provided in PDF format and requires the Adobe Acrobat Reader which is available from Adobe at no charge. Viewers can convert PDF files to html through the Adobe website.

Completed forms, along with proof of your housing emergency (3 day eviction notice, default notice, or foreclosure notice, etc.) should be mailed to:

Department of Children and Families
Office on Homelessness - PDHO
1317 Winewood Blvd.
Tallahassee, FL 32399-0700

Please call us toll-free at 1-877-891-6445 [or in Tallahassee at (850)488-3700] if you have any questions.

Talk to friendshelpingfriends

Emergency Housing Assistance In Massachusetts

This reference guide, provided by the Massachusetts Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD) is for Massachusetts residents seeking information on housing for low and moderate income families and individuals. Most housing in Massachusetts is rented or sold through the private real estate market. However, there are numerous agencies and organizations that provide lower cost, subsidized housing for those who cannot afford market rate rents or home prices.

There are different types of low cost housing such as subsidized rental housing, public housing and homeownership opportunities for low–income, first time homebuyers. Many of these housing units are subsidized by the federal government, the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, or non profit or community organizations.

State Aided Public Housing

Local Housing Authority Listing
Public Housing Applications and Documentation

There are approximately 90,000 units of state and federally assisted public housing in Massachusetts. Public housing developments are apartments that are built and subsidized by either the state or federal government and are managed by local housing authorities. There are 253 local housing authorities in Massachusetts.

There are different types of public housing available such as housing for families, elderly persons, and certain persons with disabilities. Supportive housing with assisted living services for elderly and disabled persons and congregate housing is also available in some cities and towns.  There is a very small amount of public housing available to single persons.  To find out what is available in each town, please call your local housing authority.

Eligibility: To be eligible to live in state public housing a household must typically earn no more than 80 percent of the area median income. Income guidelines vary from year to year and region to region. Ask the housing authority you are applying to what the income guidelines are in its region or visit the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development website at To live in state assisted elderly public housing, you must be at least 60 years old. If you are a person with a disability, you must meet certain criteria to be eligible for state or federal housing for disabled persons.

Rent: The rent a public housing tenant pays is based on household income and whether the costs of utilities (electricity, heat, cooking fuel) are included.

Tenants residing in elderly/handicapped public housing pay:
30 percent of net income where the tenant does not pay for utilities
25 percent of net income where the tenant pays for some or all utilities
Tenants residing in family public housing pay:
32 percent of net income where the tenant does not pay for utilities
30 percent of net income where the tenant pays for some (but not all) utilities
27 percent of net income where the tenant pays for all utilities

How to apply for state public housing: You must put your name on a waiting list that is kept by the local housing authority. Applicants may put their name on more than one waiting list if they qualify for more than one program. Waiting lists for public housing tend to be long. When your name comes to the top of the list, the housing authority will contact you. Be sure to notify a housing authority if you change your address while you are waiting for a public housing unit.

Public Housing Preferences:
The following are among the persons given preference for public housing units over other applicants:
Persons who are homeless due to natural disasters
Persons who are homeless due to public action
Persons with emergency needs (such as domestic violence victims, persons with medical emergencies, or homeless persons facing an immediate threat to their health and safety)
There are also preferences for veterans and local residents. For more details, consult a local housing authority.

Federal Public Housing:  For information about eligibility requirements, rents, preferences and applications, please call your local housing authority.  You may also visit the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) website at for more information.

Rental Assistance

Regional Non Profit Agency Listing
Rental Assistance Applications and Documentation

Rental assistance programs provide financial aid to help low-income persons rent apartments other than apartments in public housing developments. There are several types of rental assistance in Massachusetts. The three largest programs are:  The Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program (HCVP), the Massachusetts Rental Voucher Program (MRVP), and the Alternative Housing Voucher Program (AHVP). The federal government funds the Section 8 assistance through the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and the Commonwealth funds the MRVP and AHVP programs.  

Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program

The federal government provides the funds for Section 8.  Recipients receive their benefits through local housing authorities (LHAs) or regional housing agencies.  There are approximately 72,000 people receiving Section 8 rental assistance in Massachusetts.  The United States Congress periodically makes more money available to the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) to fund additional vouchers. 

Eligibility: Eligibility is based on gross income.  75 percent of all households selected to receive Section 8 must have incomes within 30 percent of the area median income ($24,800 for a family of four in Boston).  25 percent of Section 8 households can have incomes up to 50 percent of the median ($41,350 for a family of four).  In some instances these limits can go as high as 80 percent of median ($66,150 for a family of four in Boston) although very few housing agencies serve households with this income at this limit.  Income limits vary depending on the number of persons in the household and the region in which they live at the time they are selected for assistance.  For a listing of income limits by city/town, you may visit the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) website.

Rents: Section 8 recipients generally pay between 30 percent and 40 percent of their income for rent. The Section 8 voucher pays the difference between the rent charged by the landlord and the tenant's contribution to the rent.
How to apply for Section 8: You may apply to any one of the regional non-profit agencies.  If you apply to one of the regional housing agencies, your name will be placed on a statewide Section 8 waiting list maintained by the Department of Housing and Community Development.  These waiting lists are quite long.  The regional housing agency lists are always open.  You may also obtain applications online at

You may also call any of the local housing authorities to find out how to submit an application.  There is now a centralized waiting list in which 43 local housing authorities participate.  You need only to apply to one of these authorities to be considered by all 43 authorities.   Additional applications can be obtained online by visiting NAHRO. You may also apply to each housing authority that does not participate in the centralized list.  Please note that some local housing authorities either do not have a Section 8 program or their waiting lists may be closed.  For a recorded listing of housing authorities currently accepting Section 8 applications, please call: (508) 778-7507 ext. 4. 

Preferences:  Some housing agencies establish their own Section 8 preferences.  Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD) does not use any preferences for any applicant with an income that is 30% or less than the area median income.  However, any applicant with a higher income must meet one of the following three preferences:

Involuntarily displaced due to fire, natural disaster, government action, domestic violence, landlord action, having a disability or threats as a result of witnessing a crime;
Living in substandard housing or being homeless (such as living in a shelter or an apartment with serious code violations);
Paying more than 50 percent of your income for rent for more than 90 days.

Section 8 programs administered by local housing authorities often have a preference for local residents.  Section 8 programs administered by regional housing agencies have a regional residency preference.

All housing authority selection policies, including preferences, must be stated in their Annual Public Housing Plan and the agency’s Section 8 Administration Plan.  Both documents can be obtained by calling the housing agency or the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) at 617-994-8200.

Some administering agencies collaborate with other organizations to provide special Section 8 programs designed especially for families, battered women with children, homeless disabled persons and families, veterans, elderly persons raising young children, veterans with substance abuse disorders, and persons with HIV/AIDS.  For more information, please ask your service provider.
The Massachusetts Rental Voucher Program

The Commonwealth of Massachusetts provides rental assistance through the Massachusetts Rental Voucher Program (MRVP). The program is funded annually by the state legislature. State funded "mobile" vouchers can be used anywhere in Massachusetts, but "project-based" vouchers are only available in specific apartments. As of January 2004, most waiting lists are closed to new applicants.

Eligibility: Persons seeking state rental vouchers can earn no more than 200 percent of the federal poverty level.  Income limits are higher or lower, depending on the size of the household.  The following chart shows the net income limits set effective as of April 1, 2006:

# of Household Members; 200% of Federally Established Poverty Level Standard for Massachusetts
1 $20,800
2 $28,000
3 $35,200
4 $42,400
5 $49,600
6 $56,800
7 $64,000
8 $71,200
8+ Add $7,200 for each additional household member

Rents: MRVP "mobile" voucher holders pay at least 30 percent but not more than 40 percent of household income as rent. Project based voucher holders pay 35 percent of their income for rent or 40 percent if heat is included in the rent.  The voucher amount makes up the difference between what the landlord charges and what the tenant can pay. There are limits on the total rental amount.

How to apply for MRVP assistance:  All of the regional non profit housing agencies administer the MRVP program.

Massachusetts Alternative Housing Voucher Program

The Alternative Housing Voucher Program (AHVP) was created by the state legislature in 1995. It provides rental assistance to people with disabilities under age 60 who either live in, or are eligible to live in elderly/disabled state assisted public housing. The program has Legislative authority to provide funding for up to 800 vouchers. 

Eligibility:  Applicants must be under age 60 and eligible to
live in elderly/disabled state funded public housing.  To be eligible to participate in AHVP a household must typically earn no more than 80 percent of the area median income. Income guidelines vary from year to year and region to region. Ask the housing authority you are applying to what the income guidelines are in its region or visit the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) website at

Rents: AHVP recipients pay 25 percent of their income for rent if the rent includes some or none of the utilities, or 30 percent if all of the utilities are included in the rent. There are limits on the total rental amount.

How to apply for Alternative Housing Vouchers:  Contact your local housing authority and ask if they have the program.  For more information, call the Massachusetts Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD) at (617)-573-1150.

Other Rental Assistance Resources

For individuals and families:  The Department of Housing and Community Development manages a number of rental housing programs, information about which can be obtained by calling (617) 573-1150.

MassHousing also maintains a list of rental housing developments that it has financed. Many units within MassHousing financed developments are reserved for low  or moderate-income persons.  For a free list of their rental properties, call (617) 854-1185 and request the Housing List or you may search for a unit online at their website. 

The City of Boston operates a Metrolist, a centralized listing service of both rental and homeownership opportunities.  Contact the Metrolist at (617) 635-3321 for more information.

For the elderly:  Statewide Elder Hotline 1 800 882 2003
Massachusetts Department of Elder Affairs (617) 727 7750

For the disabled:  The Citizen’s Housing and Planning Association’s Mass Access program helps people with disabilities find accessible housing.  To search their registry, visit their website, or call (617) 338-6665.

Please visit or call the Independent Living Information Center: 1 800 462 5015

Massachusetts Office on Disability:  1-800-322-2020

For special needs housing:  Massachusetts Department of Mental Health (617) 626-8000 Massachusetts Department of Mental Retardation (617) 727 5608.

For the homeless:  Contact the nearest Department of Transitional Assistance (DTA) office or call the hotline: 1-800-445-6604.  DTA will determine if you are eligible for the Housing Assistance Program (HAP) services.  If you need temporary shelter, see the list of shelter referral/placement services and the list of temporary shelters.  The Homelessness Prevention Agency providers can also help you search for housing and help you become stabilized once you have found housing.

Homelessness Prevention Resources

Housing Consumer Education Centers Listing

Housing Consumer Education Centers - On-Site Training:  The Department of Housing and Community Development funds the Housing Consumer Education Centers Initiative at its Regional Non-Profit Housing Agencies.  The Housing Consumer Education Centers (HCEC) educate housing consumers on how to acquire the necessary tools to access appropriate services to meet specific housing needs and encourage people to become or remain self-sufficient.  Each HCEC provider makes the following services available:

  • housing-related training/education;
  • information and referral;
  • mediation/negotiation assistance;
  • outreach;
  • regional-specific programming. 

For more information, please call 1-800-224-5124 or visit the Housing Consumer Education Centers website or contact the Division of Community Services at (617) 573-1400. 

Energy Assistance Programs
DHCD Energy Programs information
Call the Heat Line at  1-800-632-8175

Lead Paint Removal
Department of Public Health:

Tenants’ Rights/Responsibilities (for Private Renters)
Office of Attorney General
(617) 727-8400

Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination
(617) 727-3990

Housing Related Legal Assistance

Greater Boston Legal Services:
(617) 371-1234

Office of Consumer Affairs and Business Regulation


Housing Resources for Victims of Domestic Violence

If you are escaping from domestic violence, you should be eligible for assistance through the Department of Housing and Community Development, the Department of Transitional Assistance (DTA), or the Department of Social Services (DSS); access their web site. 

Department of Transitional Assistance:  The DTA has domestic violence specialists who assist battered women with the process of obtaining benefits and services.  If you have not already done so, please consider calling the toll free, 24-hour domestic violence hotline (1-877-785-2020).  The counselors who work on the hotline can assist you with safety planning, information on accessing public benefits and other services for battered women, ranging from shelters to transitional living programs. 

Unfortunately, due to the limited availability of shelter beds and transitional programs for battered women, relocation is often required.  However, all of the battered women's programs across the state do assist their clients with housing related issues, ranging from referrals to subsidized housing and housing search to legal advocacy.

Massachusetts Department of Housing and Community Development: Through the Bureau of Federal Rental Assistance, DHCD operates the following program for victims of domestic violence and their families:

The Family Unification Program (FUP): FUP provides Section 8 vouchers to families with open cases with the Department of Social Services.  DSS makes all of the referrals for FUP.

Department of Social Services:  The Department of Social Services operates the following programs:

The Transition to Home Program provides housing advocacy and housing search services to families made homeless due to domestic violence.  Referrals are made through DSS, DTA, battered women's programs, or shelters.

The Scattered Site Transitional Apartment Program (SSTAP):  SSTAP is a transitional housing program for families made homeless due to domestic violence.  Referrals for SSTAP are made through the domestic violence specialists at DSS and the DTA, as well as local battered women's programs.  The availability of SSTAP is very limited and there is a high likelihood of relocation.  The majority of families referred to SSTAP come from domestic violence shelters.

Applications:  The first step in accessing these programs is to call the domestic violence hotline, battered women's programs, or the domestic violence specialists at your local DSS or DTA offices.  They can discuss options with you.  If you need further assistance from DHCD, please call 617.573.1209.
Domestic Violence Hotline:  1-877-785-2020
Department of Transitional Assistance Hotline:  1-800-445-6604
Department of Social Services Domestic Violence Unit:  617-748-2333 or access their web site.

Homeownership Opportunities

There are a variety of programs available to help low or moderate income people purchase a home.  Most programs are limited to first time homebuyers.

The State Soft Second Mortgage Program

The Soft Second Mortgage Program is a state funded program that helps households earning approximately $48,000 or less purchase their first homes.  The program requires a minimum 3 percent down payment. The state will subsidize a second mortgage on behalf of the homeowner who will also have a conventional mortgage.  For further information: Contact the Massachusetts Housing Partnership at (617) 330 9955 or on the web at  You may also call the Department of Housing and Community Development at (617) 573 1300.

Local Homebuyer Programs

The state annually awards funds to certain communities and non profit agencies that operate local first time homebuyer programs. Funds are used to make down payments and closing costs assistance loans to first time homebuyers with incomes at or below 80 percent of the area median income ($66,150 for a family of four in the greater Boston area).   First Time Home Buyer Program information.

Mass Housing

Mass Housing is a quasi public state agency that provides below market-rate mortgage financing for first time homebuyers, and other products (such as lead paint abatement and home improvement loans) for homeowners with moderate incomes.   For further information: contact Mass Housing at (617) 854 1000 or on the web at

Homebuyer Counseling

Some state and local agencies as well as non profits and banks offer courses on how to purchase your first home:

The Federal National Mortgage Association ("Fannie Mae"): 1 800-732 6643

Mass Housing has a list of homebuyer counseling agencies. Contact Mass Housing at (617) 854 1000 or

Talk to friendshelpingfriends

Oregon Emergency Home Repair Programs For Low Income

Clackamas County Aging And Disability Services

Clackamas County Aging and Disability Services
18600 SE McLoughlin Blvd.
Milwaukie, OR 97267

Mailing: P.O. Box 68369, Oak Grove, OR 97268

Population served: Elderly, disabled, low income
Service area: Clackamas County

Contact person: No specific person/contact
Phone number: Information and Referral (503) 794-8066
Fax: (503) 795-8055
TTY: (503) 794-8010

Web site:

Program description: Clackamas County Aging and Disability Services (an Area Agency on Aging) is a partner in the county�s Social Services Division, joining the Community Action Agency in a shared mission to work for the well being of vulnerable citizens. The ideas of citizens are important to Aging and Disability Services. An Advisory Council monitors services and comments on public policy for the elderly. The Disability Advocates Coalition advises the agency on access and policy issues for people with disabilities. The information and referral number can direct you to Clackamas County programs, which provide home repairs and modifications and weatherization, and also refer you to programs and resources available in the community.


indexClackamas County Weatherization Program

Community Solutions for Clackamas County
Clackamas County Weatherization Program
9020 Abernethy
Oregon City, OR 97045

Population served: Low income
Service area: Clackamas County

Contact person: Jacque Meier or Charon McFadden
Phone number: (503) 650-3339 (Jacque), 3338 (Charon)
Fax: (503) 650-3336

Web Site:

Program description: Clackamas County Weatherization Program provides free weatherization services to income eligible residents in Clackamas County. These services include but are not limited to attic, wall and floor insulation, and energy-related repairs to reduce unwanted air leaks in an attempt to lower energy usage. The program uses computerized energy audits to determine which energy efficiency measures are most appropriate and cost effective for each home.

indexGood Neighbor Safety Repair Program

Clackamas County Social Services
Good Neighbor Safety Program
603 12th St.
Oregon City, OR 97045

Mailing: P.O. Box 68367, Oak Grove, OR 97268
Population served: Low income elderly and disabled
Service area: Clackamas County

Contact person: No specific person/contact
Phone number: (503) 655-8574

E-mail address:
Web site:

Program description: Volunteers provide minor home repairs and yard work on a one-time basis for low income seniors and disabled over the age of 18 who have no family or friend support.

indexHome Repair Loan Program

Clackamas County Community Development Division
Home Repair Loan Program
2051 Kaen Rd.
Oregon City, OR 97045

Population served: Low income (for Home Repair Loan)
Low income with disability (for Home Access Grant)
Service area: Clackamas County

Contact person: Tie Berrett
Phone number: (503) 655-8591 or (503) 650-5667
Fax: (503) 655-8563

Web site:

Program description: Program provides loans to low income homeowners for needed and critical home repairs. Examples are furnace and roof replacement, electrical and plumbing repairs, bathroom and kitchen repairs, foundation and dry rot repair, exterior painting, weatherization, etc. County housing representatives will assist throughout the construction process.

Home Access Grant: The County can grant up to $2,500 to cover the cost of improving access and safety for low income persons with physical disabilities. Renters are eligible for this program as well as homeowners.

indexIndependent Living Resources, Inc.

Independent Living Resources, Inc.
2410 SE 11th
Portland, OR 97214

Population served: Disabled
Service area: Clackamas, Multnomah and Washington Counties

Contact person: Sue Westwood
Phone number: (503) 232-7411
TTY: (503) 232-8408
Fax: (503) 232-7480

E-mail address:
Web site:

Program description: Provides information and referral for persons who are physically disabled, including accessible housing, and recreation. Also offers living skills and enrichment classes; peer advocacy and support; and transcription to Braille, large print, or cassette tape.

indexReFit (formerly Remodelers Foundation)

ReFit (formerly Remodelers Foundation)
8101 SE Flavel St.
Portland, OR 97206

Population served: Elderly, disabled, income limits
Service area: Clackamas, Multnomah and Washington Counties

Contact person: Stacey Barrett, Executive Director
Phone number: (503) 698-8382

Web site:

Program description: ReFit (formerly Remodelers Foundation) serves the elderly and persons with disabilities who own their own homes and are not eligible for other home repair programs. They provide necessary remodeling services for homeowners who wish to remain in their homes, but could not otherwise do so. They provide home modification, along with adaptive equipment such as ramps and grab bars. Applicants may not have monthly income of over $2,450 for an individual or $2,800 for a couple.

indexMetro Home Safety Repair Program 

Metro Home Safety Repair Program
P.O. Box 13096
Portland, OR 97215

Population served: Elderly, disabled (low income)
Service area: Portland city limits

Contact person: No specific person/contact
Phone number: (503) 232-1213

Program description: Metro Home Safety is a nonprofit organization funded by the City of Portland Bureau of Housing and Community Development. It provides minor home repair and installation of safety equipment to low income elderly or disabled persons.

indexMultnomah County Aging & Disability Services

Multnomah County Aging and Disability Services
421 SW 6th, Ste. 300
Portland, OR 97204

Population served: Elderly, disabled (low income)
Service area: Multnomah County

Contact person: No specific person/contact
Phone number: (503) 988-3646
TTY: (503) 988-3683

Web site:

Program description: Multnomah County Aging & Disability Services Department (ADS) is the place to call for any senior or person with a disability (within Multnomah County) in need of assistance. Through ADS, seniors and people with disabilities will have easy access to a wide range of social and health services, housing alternatives and support systems needed to continue to live safely and with dignity in the least restrictive living situation. ADS uses local, state and federal public funds and programs to help keep elderly persons and people with disabilities at home and as independent as possible.

Multnomah County Aging & Disability provides services and advocates for development of services to help the elderly, disabled and veterans in Multnomah County. MCADS keeps a list of community resources that offer minor home repairs for low-income seniors and persons with disabilities. Repairs may include minor plumbing, installation of safety equipment, minor electrical, weatherization, furnace repair and other minor home repairs. An assessment of home safety may also be requested. Please call the ADS Helpline at (503) 988-3646 for more information.

indexReach Community Builders 

Reach Community Builders
1135 SE Salmon St.
Portland, OR 97214

Population served: Homeowners over 55 years old or disabled living on a fixed income
Service area:
Inner Southeast Portland

Contact person: Mike Masat
Phone number: (503) 231-0682
Fax: (503) 236-3429

Web site:

Program description: The REACH Community Builders Program brings volunteers together with senior and disabled homeowners to help with their home repairs, painting, weatherization and yard work. Our goal is to assist homeowners in maintaining their independence so they can stay in our neighborhoods.

REACH is a private, non-profit community development corporation serving inner Southeast Portland. REACH�s mission is to develop and maintain a permanent resource of affordable housing, promote healthy business districts, and mobilize resources for those in need through community-based partnerships.

indexRebuilding Together
Washington County Multnomah County

Joan Goldhammer, Executive Director Mike Malone, Executive Director
Rebuilding Together Rebuilding Together-Portland
12555 SW 4th 5000 N. Willamette Blvd.
Beaverton, OR 97005 Portland, OR 97203

Population served: Elderly, disabled (low income) and families with dependent children
Service Area: Multnomah and Washington Counties

Contact person: No specific person/contact
Phone number: (Washington County) (Multnomah County)
(503) 644-4544 (503) 943-7515

Fax: (503) 469-0219 Fax: (503) 943-7322

E-mail address:
Web site:

Program description: Non-profit organization, which annually provides labor and materials to do 40-50 repairs and rehabilitations on qualifying homes. Their focus is safety, warmth and independence. You must be a homeowner and HUD income guidelines will be used to determine eligibility. Your total assets cannot exceed $20,000 (excluding one car and home). Preference is given to elderly (60 and above) and persons with disabilities. They also do year-round small emergency repairs (such as ramps, etc.). They are averaging three a month. They also do yard work projects in partnership with the various youth groups.

indexUnlimited Choices, Inc./Adapt-A-Home

Unlimited Choices, Inc./Adapt-A-Home
211 SE 80th Avenue
Portland, OR 97215

Population served: Disabled (low income)
Service area: Beaverton, Portland, Gresham, Multnomah County and Vancouver, WA

Contact person: Deborah Wright
Phone number: (503) 234-6167
Fax: (503) 234-9980

E-mail address:
Web site:

Program description: Unlimited Choices, Inc.™ is a private community based nonprofit organization serving Beaverton, Portland, Gresham, Multnomah County and Vancouver, WA residents. Founded in 1993, the organization is dedicated to providing people with physical disabilities the opportunity to retain or gain their independence by making affordable housing accessible.

Participants in Unlimited Choices Adapt-A-Home™ program are people of all ages with physical disabilities who have low fixed incomes and are either in institutional settings or face going to one without accessibility modifications made to their existing or future residences.

Adapt-A-Home™ participants must qualify by HUD income guidelines and may be either renters or homeowners. Community Development Block Grant monies of up to $2,500 may be allocated for the materials and labor necessary to make residences accessible and safe. Unlimited Choices manages all project activities from the initial intake to final payment to the contractor.

Unlimited Choices is working toward expanding the Adapt-A-Home™ program into other communities around Oregon and the Pacific Northwest. Unlimited Choices now also provides emergency home repair through the Mend-A-Home program, which is available to low-income homeowners in the City of Gresham and unincorporated areas of Multnomah County.

indexUnlimited Choices, Inc./Mend-A-Home

Unlimited Choices, Inc./Mend-A-Home
4848 SE Division
Portland, OR 97206

Population served: Low income
Service area: Gresham, Unincorporated areas of Multnomah County

Contact person: Deborah Wright
Phone number: (503) 234-6167
Fax: (503) 234-9980

E-mail address:
Web site:

Program description: Mend-A-HomeTM is a program currently available within the City of Gresham as well as unincorporated areas of Multnomah County to assist qualified property owners, including mobile home owners, who cannot afford to make emergency home repairs. The program helps repair structural, plumbing, mechanical or electrical systems showing obvious signs of deterioration, roofing that is severely deteriorated, as well as exterior porches and stairs.

indexHousing Rehabilitation Program

Washington County Office of Community Development
Housing Rehabilitation Program
328 West Main, Ste. 100
Hillsboro, OR 97123

Population served: Low income Washington County homeowners and disabled renters
Service area: Washington County

Contact person: Susan Watt
Phone number: (503) 846-8897
TTY: (503) 846-4598

E-mail address:
Web site:

Program description: Low interest loans and grants are available to low income Washington County residents for home repairs and accessibility improvements. Home repair loans may be used to finance necessary repairs including roofing, plumbing, electrical and heating systems repair or replacement, weatherization, structural repairs, exterior painting and accessibility improvements. Homeowners are eligible for both repairs and accessibility improvements. Renters are eligible for accessibility improvements only.

indexMinor Home Repairs And Adaptations 

Washington County Disability, Aging & Veteran Services (WCDAVS)
Minor Home Repairs and Adaptations
133 SE Second
Hillsboro, OR 97123

Population served: Low income elderly and disabled
Service area: Washington County

Contact person: Kimberly Solis
Phone number: (503) 615-4671

Program description: The Older Americans Act Home Repair Program (administered through WCDAVS) is designed to help clients over 60 years of age with minor modifications, home repairs and adaptations necessary to facilitate the ability of the older individual to remain at home. WCDAVS keeps a list of contractors who perform minor home safety repairs for low-income seniors and people with disabilities. Repairs could include installing ramps, grab bars, furnace repairs, minor plumbing and electrical repairs, weatherization and other minor home repairs. OAA funds help senior clients who would otherwise experience a financial hardship if they had to pay for home repair services on their own.

indexWashington County Disability, Aging & Veteran Services (WCDAVS)

133 SE Second St.
Hillsboro, OR 97123

Population served: Low income elderly and disabled
Service area: Washington County

Contact person: Kimberly Solis
Phone number: (503) 615-4671

Web site:

Program description: WCDAVS is charged with providing services, and advocating for development of services to help the elderly, disabled and veterans in Washington County. We help enable people to live as independently as they can for as long as possible. WCDAVS administers the Minor Home Repairs and Adaptations program and maintains a list of contractors who perform minor home safety repairs for low-income seniors and people with disabilities. We also refer people to programs and resources in the community that help with home repairs, home modifications and weatherization.

Washington County
Disability, Aging & Veteran Services
133 S.E. Second Avenue
Hillsboro, OR 97123-4026
Phone/TTY: (503) 640-3489
Fax: (503) 640-6167
E-Mail to:
Talk to friendshelpingfriends

Rhode Island Emergency Housing Assistance


for renters

Assistance for Immediate Housing Needs  
If you need immediate assistance finding a home due to a temporary housing crisis such as eviction because your landlord has been foreclosed upon, RoadHome Emergency Housing Assistance (RHEHA)  may be able to help.

RHEHA is designed to help Rhode Islanders in need and reduce the Rhode Island shelter population by providing cash assistance to individuals and families at risk of becoming homeless due to a short term housing emergency. RHEHA provides up to $1,200 to eligible program participants for security deposits, first month's rent or mortgage payment assistance.

To qualify for RHEHA you must be facing a temporary housing crisis, meet strict income and eligibility requirements and be able to sustain your housing costs over the long term. RHEHA is funded and administered by Rhode Island Housing and implemented through community-based organizations.

If you feel you are a victim of unfair housing practices, visit Fair Housing RI  to learn more about your rights and to access resources.
Supportive Housing Program
The Supportive Housing Program (SHP) is funded by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). Each year, Rhode Island Housing applies for a grant in which partner service agencies are provided with funding for a wide array of programs. These programs provide housing with services to the homeless population along a “Continuum of Care.”

The three basic program types are:
• Safe Havens, housing for hard-to-reach homeless persons with severe mental illnesses who are on the streets and have been unable or unwilling to participate in supportive services;
• Transitional Housing, housing in which homeless persons live for up to 24 months and receive supportive services that enable them to live more independently and
• Permanent Housing, long-term community-based housing and supportive services for homeless persons with disabilities.

The intent of this type of supportive housing is to enable this special needs population to live as independently as possible in a permanent setting. For more information, contact  or 401 457-1113.

Shelter Plus Care Program
The Shelter Plus Care Program (S+C) is designed to link rental assistance to supportive services for hard-to-serve homeless persons with disabilities (primarily those who are seriously mentally ill; have chronic problems with alcohol, drugs, or both; or have acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS) and related diseases) and their families. The program provides grants to be used for rental assistance for permanent housing for homeless persons with disabilities.

Rental assistance grants must be matched by supportive services that are equal in value to the amount of rental assistance and appropriate to the needs of the population to be served. S+C is authorized by title IV, subtitle F. of the Stewart B. Mc Kinney Homeless Assistance Act (the McKinney Act). For more information, contact Carmen Mirabal at or 401 457-1175.

Housing Opportunities for Persons with AIDS (HOPWA) Program
The Housing Opportunities for Persons with AIDS Program addresses the specific needs of persons living with HIV/AIDS and their families. HOPWA, established by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), makes grants to local communities, states, and nonprofit organizations for projects that benefit low income persons medially diagnosed with HIV/AIDS and their families.

HOPWA funding provides housing assistance and related supportive services as part of HUD’s Consolidated Planning initiative that works in partnership with communities and neighborhoods in managing Federal funds appropriated to HIV/AIDS programs. HOPWA grantees are encouraged to develop community-wide strategies and form partnerships with area nonprofit organizations. HOPWA funds may be used for a wide range of housing, social services, program planning, and development costs.

These include, but are not limited to, the acquisition, rehabilitation, or new construction of housing units; costs for facility operations; rental assistance; and short-term payments to prevent homelessness. HOPWA funds also may be used for health care and mental health services, chemical dependency treatment, nutritional services, case management, assistance with daily living, and other supportive services.

Many beneficiaries receive supportive services that are funded by HOPWA or other related public and private programs. In fact, states and cities leverage approximately two dollars for every one dollar provided by the HOPWA program, according to HUD reports. For more information, contact Carmen Mirabal at  or 401 457-1175.

Affiliated Sites
Rhode Island Housing Help Center KeepSpace HousingWorksRI Don't Borrow Trouble RI Fair Housing Rhode Island



Talk to Starshine

Alabama - Homeless Service Organizations

Need help? We've listed some local resources that can provide assistance.

Alabama has eight continuums of care organizations that coordinate services for the homeless regionally. If you are homeless and need help, or if you would like to help others, these organizations may put you in touch with those who provide direct services.

City names that are underlined are linked to a crisis line serving that area.

Homeless Service Organizations - Alabama

Bessemer, Birmingham, Hoover/Jefferson, Shelby, St. Clair Counties

Metropolitan Birmingham Services for the Homeless (MBSH)
Mr. Stefan Kertesz, Board Chairman
Ms. Michelle Farley, Executive Director
1704 5th Ave., North
Birmingham, AL 35203
Phone (205) 254-8833
Fax: (205) 951-9055

Florence/Lauderdale, Colbert, Franklin, Marion, Winston and Lawrence Counties

Homeless Care Council of Northwest Alabama
Ms. Brenda Wright, Chairman
PO Box 98
Florence, AL 35631
Phone (256) 760-6335
Fax (256) 760-6344

Huntsville, Decatur/Madison, Limestone and Morgan Counties

North Alabama Coalition for the Homeless
Mr. Ollie Orton, President
Ms. Lineise Arnold, Executive director
PO Box 2991
Huntsville, AL 35804
Phone (256) 551-1610 Ext. 223

Montgomery/Montgomery, Elmore, Lowndes and Bullock Counties

Mid-Alabama Coalition for the Homeless (MACH)
Ms. Stephanie Paul, President
Dr. Cynthia Bisbee, Interim Executive Director
PO Box 242201
Montgomery, AL 36124-2201
Phone (334) 261-6182
Fax (334) 265-3391

Mobile/Mobile and Baldwin Counties

Housing First, Inc.
Mr. Larry Moons, Board President
Mr. Dan Williams, Executive Director
2900 Old Shell Road
Mobile, AL 36607
Phone (251) 450-3345
Fax (251) 450-3348

Tuscaloosa/Tuscaloosa County

Tuscaloosa Continuum of Care Group
C.H.A.L.E.N.G. of Tuscaloosa
Ms. Guyanetta Williams, President
The Salvation Army
2902 Greensboro Ave., Tuscaloosa, AL 35403
Phone (205) 758-2804
Fax (205) 349-0135

Anniston, Gadsden/Calhoun and Etowah Counties

Homeless Coalition of Northeast Alabama (HCNEA)
Mr. Clarence Williams, Chairman
Community Development Administrator
City of Anniston
PO Box 2168
Anniston, AL 36202
Phone (256) 231-7660
Fax (256) 231-7641

Balance of the State of Alabama

Alabama Rural Coalition for the Homeless
Ms. Lillian Zaworski, President
PO Box 451
Montgomery, AL 36101
Phone (334) 387-1208
Fax (334) 842-4803

Russell County (AL) and Muscogee County (GA)

Metropolitan Columbus Task Force for the Homeless, Inc.
Ms. Elizabeth Dillard, Executive Director
PO Box 811
Columbus, GA 31902
Phone (706) 571-3399
Fax (706) 571-0707

Talk to crazyquilt

New Hampshire - Rental Assistance Program

Fill out the Housing Choice Voucher application available below as completely and accurately as possible and return it to New Hampshire Housing at the address listed below.

You will receive a confirmation letter stating the approximate length of time before you will be able to receive assistance. If you do not receive that letter in two weeks, please call our office, 1-800-439-7247, extension 9266. Due to the high volume of calls, it may take extra time for someone to return your call. Thank you for your patience and understanding. Eligibility is not determined when we receive your application. When we have vouchers available we will notify you and will verify your information at that time. Important: If you do not update your address with us if you move, we will be unable to contact you when vouchers become available and we will have to inactivate your file. You will then need to reapply.

The estimated waiting time for a voucher is based on the number of people on the waiting list, the availability of vouchers and an applicant's preference status. For a majority of applicants, this could mean an estimated waiting time of 6 to 8 years before your name reaches the top of the list.

Please note: this is just an estimate. The actual wait time could be longer or shorter.


To qualify for the Housing Choice Voucher Program, a household must:

1.  Have an annual income that does not exceed those limits published by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). (When determining income eligibility, Gross Income is used.)

HUD Income Limits

2.  Provide verification of Social Security Numbers for all household members age 6 and older or certify that they do not have Social Security numbers. These documents may be submitted at the time of application or when vouchers become available. 

3.  Meet HUD requirements on immigration or citizenship status.

4.  Pay any money owed to New Hampshire Housing or any other housing authority.

5.  Not be subject to lifetime sex offender registration requirements.

6.  Sign authorization forms so that New Hampshire Housing can verify the various eligibility requirements for the rental assistance programs.

7.  Not have any household members who are engaged in any criminal activity that threatens the life, health, safety, or right to peaceful enjoyment of the premises by other residents.

8.  Not have any household member who is engaged in any drug-related or violent criminal activity.


The rental assistance programs are funded by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). New Hampshire Housing helps tenants with their rent payments by paying a portion of the monthly rent directly to the landlord.

To receive assistance in a particular unit, the following must happen: 

1.  The unit must pass a Housing Quality Standards inspection.

2.  The landlord must agree to participate in the program. 

3.  The rent must be determined by the Housing Authority to be reasonable.

If you do not live in a unit that qualifies when you reach the top of the waiting list, you will have sixty (60) days to locate housing that does qualify.


Please note that the information provided is subject to verification through computer matching with other federal agencies for the purpose of locating delinquent debtors. The debtor records include these data elements: Social Security number, claim number, program code and indication of indebtedness. Categories of records include: records of claims and defaults, repayment agreements, credit reports, financial statements, and records of foreclosures.


Download/print the Housing Choice Voucher Rental Assistance Application
(includes "Request for Waiting List Preference Form" and
"Notice of Right to Reasonable Accomodation")
(Adobe Acrobat .pdf format)

Request a Housing Choice Voucher Rental Assistance Application to be sent to you in the mail

Reasonable Accommodation Request Form 

HOME & Tax Credit Assisted Properties
(Acrobat .pdf format)*


Talk to crazyquilt

Massachusetts - Homeless Shelters And Transitional Programs

General information

Emergency shelters and transitional programs provide temporary housing for homeless families and individuals. Staff members provide support services to help homeless persons find permanent housing, to solve the problems that caused homelessness, and to enable families and individuals to live independently. Most programs have general and financial eligibility requirements.

Programs for families and teen parents:

  • Family shelters

    Family shelters provide emergency housing and support services for families with children and for pregnant women. Most of the family shelters require a referral from the Department of Transitional Assistance, and families must meet general and financial eligibility requirements. However, there are a few family shelters that operate independently of DTA.

  • Shelters for battered women

    These shelters provide safety and support for women and their children who are victims of domestic abuse and are in imminent danger. All battered women's shelters have 24-hour hotlines and usually allow women to stay from three to six months.

  • Teen parent programs

    Teen parent programs offer supervised housing for teen mothers with children and pregnant teens who are unable to live at home. Participants in teen parent programs receive child care, health care, parenting and educational support, and assistance in preparing to live independently. Teen mothers and their children are housed in group homes or shared apartments.

  • Transitional programs for families

    Transitional programs not only provide families with temporary shelter, but also offer treatment, training, and counseling to help families solve the problems that caused homelessness and regain their independence. Once families have completed a transitional program, they are given help in finding permanent affordable housing. Most transitional programs do not require a referral from DTA.

Programs for runaway and homeless adolescents:

  • Shelters and transitional programs for homeless adolescents

    Shelters and transitional programs for runaway and homeless adolescents provide emergency housing and support services for adolescents who do not have children, are not pregnant, and cannot live at home. Homeless and runaway adolescents receive counseling, placement services, education, and other support services.

Programs for adults:

  • Shelters for adults

    Shelters for homeless adults generally have no income restrictions or documentation requirements. Help is offered on a first come first served basis. Some shelters allow individuals with substance abuse problems, while others do not. Most offer counseling and referral services.

  • Transitional programs for adults

    These programs offer shelter, treatment, employment counseling, crisis intervention, health care, and other support services to homeless individuals with substance abuse, mental health, or other problems. The aim of the programs is to help these individuals solve their problems and gain the skills and support they need to live independently. Some of these programs charge a fee.

Useful links

Links to other web sites with information about shelters and transitional housing programs.

Talk to crazyquilt